Sunday, September 22, 2013

Quiet Time 23/09/2013


Where I read: Jer.26-28

Memory verse: Jer.26:13 “Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God; and the LORD will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.”

What I learnt: it struck me that when Jeremiah was sent to prophesy to the children of Israel, he faced more opposition from the priests and prophets who ought to know better. How come that the people who were meant to be close to God’s heartbeat were the ones who stood in the way of His prophets. How come it was the “secular” princes who advocated for Jeremiah to be heard since he prophesied in the name of the LORD God. It is truly a case of when the blind leads the blind, the nation of Israel was in a deep mess.
Then came Hananiah the smooth talking prophet who played to the gallery and wanted to be popular among the people. It seems we all love to hear kind and reassuring words even when all is not well. He definitely got what was coming – death, and an untimely one at that. Why would a prophet say “God said” when God has not said. It takes guts to swim against the current, however the results are everlasting peace Mat.5:10.
One thing I learnt though is, despite all the promise of sword and famine God had a plan of redemption. A plan to restore Isreal and to prosper them once again. It was as if the punishment was to purge them of their sins, and turn their hearts back to him. Inherent in every sin is the consequence that should turn hearts back to God.

Prayer point: Lord I pray that you keep me from sin and it’s consequences, that I might not learn the hard way; amen.

No comments: